Friday, May 22, 2009

half marathon training: week 1: tyly.

Originally I had strength training for my legs planned, but I wanted to do more.

I 'run' at the pace of a turtle with a broken leg, and that frustrates me. I try not to get discouraged and remind myself that speed will come with time and practice, but I have high expectations for myself. Probably too high of expectations. Anyway, I decided to try for a 10 minute mile, and I've decided to make that my Friday workout until I succeed. Once I do (because I WILL), I'll figure it out from there. I did this on the treadmill, and fyi, 6.0 is a 10 minute mile pace. Here's the breakdown of how it went:

Miles = Speed

0 - 0.5 = 3.5
0.5 - 1.0 = 6.0
1.0 - 1.25 = 3.5
1.25 - 1.50 = 6.0
1.50 - 1.75 = 3.5
1.75 - 2.0 = 4.0

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed and discouraged. I thought that if I really pushed myself, I could do a 10 minute mile. I guess that's not the case yet, but I'm not giving up. Like I said, I plan to do this every Friday until I can successfully run a full 10 minute mile.

1 comment: